How to Wash Your Regatta Waterproof Jacket
Regatta is a leading brand of outdoor wear in the UK and internationally, and buying a waterproof jacket is an investment that should last you many, many years. But outdoor wear gets dirty easily, whether it’s with mud and grass stains or oil and grease. Cleaning a waterproof jacket is a bit more complicated than other materials, so we’ve created a useful guide on how to wash your Regatta waterproof jacket the right way.
The Don’ts When Washing a Regatta Waterproof Jacket
- Don’t use a chemical stain remover – Commercial stain removers and biological stain removers contain chemicals that will damage your waterproofing. This material is not chemical resistant, so if you use these products, you’ll end up getting wet the next time you’re out in the rain.
- Don’t use washing detergent/powder or fabric conditioners – It may be tempting to throw your Regatta waterproof jacket in the wash with the rest of your dirty laundry, but don’t. This will degrade the waterproofing and can leave a residue on the material.
- Don’t forget to clean your washing machine – Run your machine on a rinse cycle and wipe out the detergent compartments before you wash your outdoor gear. This will remove any residues that could damage the material
What Can I use to Clean a Waterproof Jacket?
It’s best to use a pure soap product designed for waterproofed material, such as the Regatta non-detergent cleaner. You should be able to get this directly from a Regatta store.
How to Clean Your Waterproof Jacket
Here’s a step-by-step guide to this cleaning process.
- Brush off dry dirt and excess with a soft, clean cloth or soft brush. Then, close any flaps or zips. Open zips can damage the material as the machine spins.
- Wash one or more waterproof items in your washing machine on a gentle, 30-degree cycle or according to the care label on your jacket, using the Regatta Wash-In Garment Cleaner. Do not mix in other clothing or overload the machine with too many other waterproof garments.
- Air dry your garments thoroughly.
How to Reproof Your Waterproof Jacket
If you notice that your jacket is letting a bit of water in, due to age or repeated washing, it’s time to re-waterproof it. This can be done easily with the Regatta Wash-In Reproofer.
Simply follow the steps above to clean your waterproof clothing, then instead of letting your garment dry, place it back in the washing machine. Add the appropriate amount of reproofer to the detergent slot and run it on a gentle, 3-degree cycle with low spin.
Then, air dry as normal. It should be restored back to its as-new levels of technical performance.
How Often Should I Clean a Waterproof Jacket?
Only clean your jacket when it is dirty. You can spot clean with warm water and a clean cloth in between washes. If your jacket is quite new but water isn’t running off it as it should, it’s time to give it a wash. This should restore it to as-new condition.
How Often Should I Reproof My Jacket?
Regatta waterproof clothing is guaranteed to maintain its level of water resistance for about 3 years, although they often last longer. Around this 3-year mark, it’s recommended that you reproof your jacket to maintain its condition and technical performance.
How Can I Remove Stains Such as Oil and Grease?
The Regatta Wash-In Garment Cleaner is designed to be tough on all stains and dirt, including oil or grease stains. You can spot clean with some diluted cleaner before you put it through the entire wash cycle to tackle very bad stains.
Aftercare – Drying and Maintaining Your Waterproof Jacket
We recommend air drying your waterproof jacket in a shaded spot, although (depending on what it says on your care label), some items can be dried on a low tumble dryer setting. When drying or storing your jacket, it’s best to keep it out of direct sunlight, as this will degrade the waterproofing over time. Once it’s fully dry, hang it in your coat cupboard or wardrobe until your next adventure.
What is the Life Expectancy of a Regatta Waterproof Jacket?
Regatta waterproof jackets and garments are guaranteed to be windproof, waterproof, and breathable for 3 years, and can last much longer depending on the frequency of use and how you care for the garment. After 3 years, your jacket should still be in very good condition, but will likely need reproofing to make it as good as new again.
Where to Buy Regatta Jackets and Outdoor Clothing in the UK
Boundary Outlet stores in Colne, Grantham, Newcastle, Walsall, and Sheffield all carry Regatta outlet sections, which means you get to buy the best outdoor apparel brand for less. Whether you are looking for a new waterproof jacket, hiking pants, ski pants, or insulated jackets, we carry the outlet range for men, women, and children. Because we are the best outlet store in the UK, all items are at least 30% off the RRP – guaranteed – with savings of up to 60%. Visit us today!
Join the Privilege Family
ENJOY exclusive Privilege Perks and daily offers, plus advanced notice of special events and discounts at selected sale periodsJoin Now
Download the Privilege Family App
Download the free Boundary Privilege Family app to receive offers and brand updates on the go, plus always have your card to hand on your phone ready to show in store.
Search: Boundary Outlet